General resources and links are provided below. Additional links to National, State, and Regional bike planning and best practices documents will be provided on an ongoing basis.
Recent Improvements in Howard County’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Network
Transportation in Howard County
- Howard County Office of Transportation
- Howard County Department of Public Works
- Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks Trail Directory
- WalkHoward: The County updated the County’s 2007 Pedestrian Master Plan. The new Pedestrian Plan, WalkHoward: Moving Forward, continues efforts to improve walkability in Howard County.
- Active Transportation Action Agenda: The Columbia Association’s (CA) Active Transportation Action Agenda is a plan to create a more interconnected and comprehensive bicycling and walking circulation system for health, recreational and transportation purposes. This project developed a list of action items to improve safe pedestrian and bicycle connections throughout Columbia, with an emphasis on CA’s pathways. This project is coordinated with the County’s Bicycle Master Plan initiative.
Bicycle Facility Design Guidance and Manuals
- AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center – sponsored by USDOT and NACTO
- Maryland Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- MDOT-SHA Bicycle Policy and Design Guidelines
- NACTO Urban Bikeway Design Guide
Bicycle Planning in Neighboring Counties
- Anne Arundel County
- Baltimore County
- Carroll County
- Frederick County
- Montgomery County
- Prince Georges County
Regional and Statewide Bicycle Plans
- Baltimore Metropolitan Council
- Maryland Department of Transportation
If you have feedback or comments, please let us know!